Thursday, December 24, 2015

A Feast of Seven Fishes Makes for a Joyous Christmas Eve

A Christmas Eve Tradition 

The Feast of Seven Fishes is an Italian tradition that is believed to have originated in Southern Italy. It is typically celebrated with a large gathering in accordance with the Catholic feast known simply as The Vigil (La Vigilia). This celebration commemorates the wait, the Vigilia di Natale, for the midnight birth of the baby Jesus.

I am not Italian. I am not Catholic. I am single so my large gathering usually consists of my beloved Basset Hound and a friend or two. So why do I love it? It is rather complicated. Actually, it isn't. I have a passion for cooking. I love good food and wine. It's festive and fun!

My Basset Hound does not appreciate the nuances of a roast Blue Point oyster. My friend doesn't like seafood. I am many things and flexible is one of them. 

I have the Feast of One Petite Filet Mignon for my friend and the Feast of One Bowl of Mixed Grill and Vegetables for my Basset Hound.

For me, I am a staunch believer in a long celebration. I usually start the festivities around 4pm with the first course and finish around midnight. 

Feast of Seven Fishes

Some simply do a seven course meal with a few fishes intermixed with a few non-fish dishes. Heresy, I say. I do seven fishes or none at all. Remember though, you are aiming for seven courses so be prepared to reduce these recipes, invite more friends or have plenty of storage containers.

Course One - Gravlax with Lemony Dill Mustard Sauce

This is an exceptionally nice starter. I prepare the sauce a day in advance so allow additional time for the flavors to meld but you do not have to do so. I also use the gravlax for my Christmas Brunch. Here's a recipe you can use for inspiration. As with everything, the key is to use fresh, organic ingredients.

Course Two - Roast Oysters

I have the oven set to Roast before I prepare the first course so that I can roast the oysters while I enjoy my first course. I typically pair the first few courses with a nice sparkling wine or perhaps a Spanish Albarino. Here's a recipe you can use for inspiration. You'll need a shucker and gloves to keep from making this your final course before a visit to your local Urgent Care!

Course Three - Pan-Seared Squid with Lemony Aioli and Greens

Note the theme for the first few courses - very quick to prepare and with sauces that can be prepared a day in advance and fish that also requires minimal cook time. This is a stunning salad. Squid is wonderful when seared. You can use any greens you choose. I prefer some that I don't tend to eat regularly to make this a special course. I accent with edible flowers. Here's a recipe for you.

Course Four - Grilled Chilean Sea Bass with Chile, Cilantro and Lime

Here's where I usually take it up a notch. This is an opportunity for an Instagram-worthy plate photo as well as a chance to impress your guests or in my case, myself! Note that you can use any center-cut filet such as cod or salmon. You can also use a crustacean if you wish. Here is a recipe to inspire you. I usually pair this and remaining courses with a top notch Pinot Noir however a hearty, full-bodied white will do. 

Course Five - Tagliatelle with Diver Scallops and Clams over Shaved Parma

It's Christmas Eve, not some random Tuesday in April. Use homemade or fresh pasta if at all possible. Also bring out the best shaved parmesan. Here is a recipe to inspire you. You may find yourself hitting the culinary wall here, but do press on.

Course Six - The Most Amazing Cioppino 

You will wow yourself with this one. Trust me. I have found that it is best to make the broth 24-48 hours ahead to really give the flavors a chance to meld. The remainder of the fish stew is then prepared rather quickly which is good considering you've probably had a good bit of wine and it is well into the evening hour. I make this recipe in large enough quantity to have leftovers. It does get better the next day. Here is a recipe to get you started. I typically use Bay Scallops, Cod, Clams and Shrimp but you can use any fish you wish!

Course Seven - Eel With Olives, Chiles, and Capers

I admit eel can be a tough sell, but you will be sold once you have had it. Also, get your fishmonger to skin and gut it as this is by far the most difficult task in preparation I think. It will be worth your effort though as this, my friends, is the most traditional dish of all. Here is a recipe for you.

If you are unsure about the eel or don't live near a trusted fishmonger, I have been known to substitute a nice lobster tail for this course.

There you have it. You've made it to the finish line. It's probably pushing midnight and you are absolutely stuffed to the gills. (Pun definitely intended). Lastly, just remember that this is what Italians eat when they are fasting.

Feast of One Bowl of Mixed Grill and Vegetables

We should not forget that animals welcomed Christ our Savior into our world. For that reason, I always include my beloved Basset Hound in the celebration. This is a simple, delicious and nutritious dog-friendly meal you can share with your beloved hound. Disclaimer - Check with your vet or trusted nutritional advisor as to whether these foods are safe for your canine.

1/3 pound Ground Beef, (Buffalo or Wagyu Beef if you wish)
1 carrot chopped
1 cup broccoli
1 medium sweet potato chopped
1/3 cup Basmati or Brown Rice
1 cup of water

You can simply put all ingredients in a slow cooker. Set on Low for 6 hours to overnight. Let cool. Serve in a festive bowl. Optionally add a tablespoon of yogurt, teaspoon of coconut oil and a little chopped fresh parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment