Sunday, December 16, 2012

My Camino's First Step

I have officially embarked on an adventure described as a pilgrimage of a 1000 lifetimes. I am hiking The Way of Saint James or El Camino de Santiago de Compostela. I will arrive in Northern Spain on December 25 to walk in the same footsteps as people from St. Francis of Assisi and Charlemagne to Ferdinand and Isabella to Dante and Chaucer. The Way is a very personal journey and doing so in winter will make the pilgrimage even more spiritual as I will be alone with my thoughts & intentions for the better part of a month.

Officially, the Camino is any passage in Europe that leads to the city of Santiago de Compostela - essentially though it starts at your doorstep! The first step of the journey is to select a rock from your home and take it with you to the Cruz de Ferro (iron cross). Traditionally pilgrims have left that rock here along with a note and a prayer of thanksgiving.

This evening I walked my Dalmatian Suzy Q and Basset Hound Sweetpea down to watch the sun set on our special beach in Bermuda. Together we took that first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment