Saturday, January 19, 2013

A Life Journey of Days: How I Trekked My Way Across Spain to Enlightenment

25 days, 516 km / 320 mi, Cities, Villages, Pueblos, Plains, Hills, Mountains, Ocean, Alburgues, Hostels, Pensions, Hotels, One "Best Hotel in the World", Sunny, Cool, Warm, Rain, Torrential Rain, Snow, Sleet, Blizzard, Dogs, Cats, Cows, Bulls, Horses, Sheep, Wolves, Bears, Hens, Roosters, Donkeys, Ducks, Geese, Storks, Medieval Bridges, Soccer Players, Templar Knights, Bartenders, Award-winning Chefs, Sommeliers,  more than a few lost souls and even some fellow Pilgrims encountered. These were all part of an amazing life-affirming and life-changing adventure that I experienced as I successfully walked across Northern Spain alone in the dead of winter. This was my Camino de Santiago.


The Camino de Santiago is a very personal journey; A Medieval Christian Pilgrimage to the Cathedral in Santiago (Galicia) that has the earthly remains of the Apostle James who was one of Jesus' most trusted friends. Pilgrims have walked the Camino for over 1000 years for a variety of reasons. Once one successfully completes the Pilgrimage, their name is entered into the official records alongside all that came before them with the reason for their journey.



My official reason was "Religión y Otras Razones" (Religion and Other Reasons). Simply stated, I came seeking spiritual answers. I found them. I came seeing if I had the mental fortitude to hike alone for days on end in a variety of weather. I got up every day and I did. I came seeing if I had the physical ability to hike with a 12 kg / 25 pound backpack over such a long distance with diverse terrain. I dropped 130,000+ calories, dropped 12 kg / 25 pounds and I did.


So today I finally arrived in Santiago de Compostela. I would like to tell you that I completed my pilgrimage in a somber and humble manner. I didn't. I strutted with a smile on my face as wide as can be. Sure I was very thankful for God delivering me on a safe journey but I was immensely proud of myself for listening to the signs to "Just Do It", to take that first step so many days earlier and to keep on going day in and day out. My motto was "Fíese de que el Camino proporcionará" (Trust that the Camino will provide). It did with daily miracles that were there for those who had eyes to see them.

The Eric who started the Camino is not the Eric who finished the Camino. I made myself physically, mentally & spiritually vulnerable to God out there. I emerged a better person because of this. El Camino fue solo el principio; Mi viaje continua (The Camino is only the beginning; My journey continues).

No comments:

Post a Comment