Thursday, January 10, 2013

Day 15 Ponferrada: How I Applied a Guardian Angel Principle and Still Found Time for a Siesta

Wild Mountains leading to Galicia from Ponferrada

Slow Start to a Day

One of the benefits of a rest day is the chance to do very important things like wash and dry all your clothes. Most good gear will dry overnight but certain items such as Smartwool hiking socks need a good bit more than 12 hours to dry completely. I also had time to take care of some personal matters and make a guilty pleasure purchase - new Smartwool socks and glove liners. I also had time to take a long hot relaxing soak in the tub.

Another Camino mystery - Saint Amy Adams praying?

Another Camino Mystery

I came upon this outside of Ponferrada. Why was American actress Amy Adams praying for a hot chick who is holding a parrot and wearing a leopard spotted bra? Why is the woman wearing a toga pointing at her? I am sure there is a deep meaning in there somewhere; I am just not sure what it is! It did bring a smile to my face. Maybe that was the meaning.

My Guardian Angel Provided a Valuable Camino Lesson - Knock on Doors

Knock on Doors 

My Guardian Angel introduced himself to me on Day 1 of my journey and gave me 10 life principles that I should learn / apply to my Camino experience and life journey. It was a surreal and meaningful happening. One of those was "Knock on More Doors. Opportunity Awaits but you have been timid to chase it at times."

It was a valuable lesson to learn and apply during the winter in Spain. Important needs on The Way of Saint James often were behind doors that appeared closed and locked by American standards and appearance. As I progressed I became more willing to approach seemingly closed buildings to see if they were in fact open. Had I not done so I would have slept outdoors in the cold of January and missed many meal opportunities. Today I really wanted a Pilgrim Credential stamp from the beautiful Basilica in Ponferrada. There are no signs "Get your credential stamp here!" flashing to lead the way. However there was a Catholic School attached to the Basilica. I saw what I thought to be a Head Master's office behind locked doors. I mustered up the courage to knock on that door. I spoke confidently in Spanish while presenting my Pilgrim credential. I got a warm "Buen Camino" and I got that stamp. I know I would not have done that on Day 1 of my Camino.

The Camino again is a metaphor for life and this lesson has deeper implications to my life than a stamp or a three-course meal. I have been bold in chasing personal goals be it an Ironman Triathlon or adventure trek but I have been hesitant to put myself out there at times in life. I have sometimes been unwilling or unable to ask for help when I needed it. I have often not approached others to communicate what I need. This weakness in me has hampered not only my life journey but other's who have crossed my path.  My Guardian Angel as usual is loving and right. I do need to knock on more doors. 

Templar Castle is said to contain Holy Secrets

Of Castles, Cravings and Pinxtos

The remainder of my rest day was spent leisurely sampling wine and pinxtos (tapas), visiting the small but worthwhile History Museum and of course the Templar Castle.  The History Museum was surprisingly interesting. It had much Camino history and tombstones dating from the 1st century that were amazingly well-preserved. The Templar Castle is said to contain either secrets regarding the locations of the Ark of the Covenant and Holy Grail or perhaps the artifacts themselves. It had also had one of the most impressive library of medieval books albeit most were reproductions. I did not locate any Holy Secrets but I did get some amazing photos. A friend of mine commented that one looked like a decorative ladle. It actually was the view from an archer defensive opening within the castle.

Photo inside the Castle Walls
After 15 days of trekking I guess it is not unusual to get some cravings. What were mine? I was absolutely yearning for some Tex Mex food and interestingly enough the Camino did provide. What likely is the only Tex Mex restaurant in the whole of Spain happened to be on the Town Square just down from my hotel.

And after a night of guacamole, burritos, wine and pinxtos I returned to my hotel to pack my clean, dry clothes and get a good night's rest. The second big mountain pass awaits.













My Tunes for the Day

Dar Williams "Closer to Me" has always been meaningful to me.  It speaks to my sense of adventure and self-discovery. I also chose it for the Memorial Service for my beloved fur-ever friends Beethoven the Wonder Dalmatian and LaSalle the Rescued Rottweiler / Lab mix. It brings memories of them and all the wonderful places I've seen with a back pack. It also fit right in with my Camino journey. I often found myself hitting Repeat on my iPod Shuffle.

No comments:

Post a Comment